Thursday, November 1, 2007

Time

My friend Mary emailed me a poem she wrote about time. This got me thinking.

Several weeks ago, I went to see a psychiatrist. I told him I was depressed and needed drugs. He thought this was hysterical. He advised me to forget about the drugs, and try getting some rest! Now it was my turn to be amused. After I picked my self up off the floor, I decided to follow the doctor’s advice. I came home and made a list if my responsibilities and priorities.

I home school the kids, and this is important to our family. Giving this up is not an option. I thought about giving up my small home based business, but then how would we be able to afford gas? I thought about giving up picking up my niece and nephew after school, but then they would become latch key kids and grow up to tell their therapists awful things about me. After exploring all options, I decided that housework was the only thing I could afford to ease up on. But wait! What about my adoring family? Surely they would help! Plan A: I told my loving family what the doctor said, and asked for some help around the house. My son was still laughing on his way out to shoot hoops (after filling the sink with his dirty dishes). My three little girls haven’t gotten over the nightmares…
To be completely fair, my husband did try to help for a minute, but the lure of the television was just too strong.
So I went on to Plan B: Just let the house go! This worked out okay for a while, but then visions of Children’s Services showing up, taking one look at the sink full of dishes and the toys strewn all over the house inundated my mind.
Right now, I am working on Plan C: Nagging the family to death. So far, this plan has not been successful, but I am not giving up without a fight!
In the meantime, the psychiatrist has offered to set up a bucket and hose in his office so that I will be able to fit in a shower during my next visit to him…..

No comments: