Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Thoughts on working from home

I am so very lucky that I am able to work from home. I work as a customer service representative, taking calls. This means I can’t have any background noise, or phone calls coming in while I am working. It is such a blessing. However, it does have its ups and downs.

When you tell people that you work from home, they don’t always hear the “work” part. Everyone seems to hear something different. Friends and family hear “I’m home, call me or drop by whenever you want.” When I tell the hubby and the kids I’m taking phone calls, what I am trying to say is, “Please keep the house quiet. I need to create a professional environment.” My sweet little girls hear, “Mom’s working, yell at the top of your lungs!” My son hears, “Mom wants to be serenaded with blaring rap music while she’s on the phone.” I my darling husband turns up the television volume all the way, so that the ringing of my phone doesn’t disturb him.

The only way to resolve this issue is to work in the wee hours of the morning, or what Ani poetically calls “the butt crack of dawn.” So I stumble out of bed anytime between 4:30 am 5:30 am to work. Well, I have to be up soon, so I’d better get ready to call it a night…

No comments: