Thursday, April 16, 2009

Blue Shadows Mounted Drill Team

After our near death experience with laundry cart bumper derby, I realized that I needed to find constructive ways to channel my little troublemakers'...um, I mean little angels' energy. I decided the time had come to find activities they are interested in. Like many other girls her age, Skylar like horses. Actually, it's more like an obsession. She has been begging for riding lessons since she was about four years old. To be honest, the closest I've been to a horse was at the fair. I sat my kids on a pony for a photograph. Clearly, I needed to enroll her in private lessons or a class. However, at anywhere from $45.00 to $90.00 an hour, I found the cost of lessons to be prohibitive. After several weeks researching the Internet, I was fortunate to find a web site for the Blue Shadows Mounted Drill Team. www.blueshadows.org This awesome non-profit organization not only teaches children aged 9 and up how to ride and care for horses. They also teach leadership skills, responsibility and how to be part of a team. They are mounted drill team that is based off of early cavalry drilling, so the kids are learning drill maneuvers.
Blue Shadows has two posts, one in Agua Dulce and one in Lakeview Terrace. Owning your own horse is not necessary. Skylar is currently in the beginners group at the Lakeview Terrace post. Did I mention the cost for this terrific opportunity? $15.00 a week! The class lasts from 1-2 hours. Did I mention the best part? Skylar feels that this is a dream come true for her and is happiest when she is sitting on that horse with the rest of the team.

No comments: